Within the framework of inclusive participation in disaster preparedness and response, this project is aimed at strengthening capacities of highly vulnerable groups especially persons with disability to be active agents and participants in community-based disaster risk reduction and management.
The project was initiated in 2015 in partnership with the Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund (ASB) and Aktion Deutchsland Hilft (ADH) in Calbayog and Catbalogan, Samar. A similar project was developed and implemented in Benguet in 2017 with the support of the Canada Fund for Local Initiatives (CFLI).
For more information, visit the projects website on this link: www.inclusion.pilcd.org
The project was designed to achieve the following:
- Inclusion and active participation of high risk groups i.e. women, children, elderly, persons with disabilities in Local DRRM Councils;
- Increased capacities in government engagement and participation of high risk groups and individuals i.e. women, children, elderly, persons with disabilities – specially in DRRM planning and decision making processes;
- Increased capacities on Disability Inclusive DRRM of trainers and facilitators from Disabled Persons Organizations, Community-based organizations of Women, Children and Youth, Elderly and other high risk groups, and including other stake holders from Non Government Organizations, emergency volunteer groups, officers and staff of Local DRRM office and the Social Welfare and Development office from Local Government Units, schools and the academe.
- Enhanced local policies to promote and adopt Inclusive DRRM practices and other policies related to accessibility and welfare of persons with disabilities;
- Strengthened linkages and partnerships between and among non-government and peoples organizations, local government units, schools, academe and other stakeholders in Inclusive DRRM and facilitate the formation of network of advocates in promoting and integrating Disability Inclusion in all phases of DRRM and other development programs and policies.